All too often we are far more enthusiastic about talking than we are listening. Yet it is so vital if we are to communicate effectively. Most breakdowns in relationships are caused because people talking at each other without really making contact. Unless someone hears what has been said including the subtext the words have little value.
When we are actively listened to we feel valued and are far more likely to engage in negotiation and compromise.
Listening is about far more than words. Watching facial expressions and body language is often a far more accurate barometer than the words that are being used.
Nice things being said where the smile doesnít reach the eyes is an obvious example.
To be an effective listener it is vital that you listen actively.
10 tips to becoming a more effective listener
- Make eye contact.
- Read the body language of the talker. Are they relaxed, anxious, or angry? Extremes are easy to recognize but often the message is much more subtle
- Mirror the talkerís body language- subtly, a gentle dance rather than a caricature.
- Show that you are listening, nod, and make appropriate responses
- Ask relevant questions, and ask them to clarify if you are not clear about their meaning
- Summarise: so what you are saying?
- Use open-ended questions, the who, what, where, when,
- Be careful of the tone of your voice when you respond or ask questions. It is all too easy to come across as judgemental or as an interrogator from the Spanish Inquisition
- Use empathy. Acknowledge difficulties, but be careful not to fall into the trap of going into anecdotes from your experience. ì I sense that you are finding this rather difficultî rather than ìOh I know, it happened to me but mine was bigger, more difficult etcî
- Take a real interest, if you are simply going through the motions the lack of sincerity will be obvious to others. Leave your ego behind, and concentrate on the other person.
Shawn Ryder Digital is headed by a seasoned professional with a wealth of experience in both the automotive industry and technology. With over 20 years in the car sales industry, our expert brings a deep understanding of the unique challenges that come with selling cars in the digital age, having worked in both sales and management positions. They also have a strong background in technology and a proven track record of using digital marketing tactics to drive sales and increase brand awareness. Shawn Ryder combines this automotive industry knowledge and digital marketing expertise to provide dealerships with customized and effective marketing solutions that drive results. We are dedicated to helping dealerships thrive in the digital age and are confident in our ability to help you reach your goals and grow your dealership.